I’ve been hoping to make these delectable Brown Sugar Cookies for a while now. That also seems to be a law of nature. Hoping. Waiting. Dreaming.
Alas, it is winter in Minnesota and it is quite possibly The Longest Winter of My Entire Life. We just received a whopping dollop of snow and I heard on the radio today that we can expect more tonight and tomorrow with “unseasonably cold temps with highs of 15-20 degrees” on Saturday. *dies*
So, you see, cookies seemed to be an inevitable (and albeit DREADFUL) extension of the winter season here in jolly ol’ Minn-e-snow-ta.
Oh, yea…did I mention today is the first day of Spring? According to the calendar. According to Mother Nature, as detailed above, it is still full-on WINTER. If you sense any anger or frustration in my tone, your senses are spot on. So, you can see why the Brown Sugar Cookies were baked. Oh. Also because of the melted butter. And the sugar. If you too are sick of winter, please join me in the unabashed art of Cookie-Monsteresque Cookie Devouring.
Due to our philosophy of “Go Big or Go Home” this is a double recipe. Because one can never have too many cookies.
Adapted from Cookies and Cups
- 3 1/2 sticks (28 tablespoons) salted butter
- 2 1/2 cups packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat butter in medium skillet over medium heat until melted. When butter melts slowly swirl the pan and continue to cook the butter until it becomes a nice, brown-caramel color. The swirling helps it from burning. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl and set aside.
- When butter is cooled mix 2 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 cup sugar, and browned butter with electric mixer until no lumps remain, about 1 minute.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each one. Add vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Slowly add in your flour mixture and mix on medium-low until incorporated.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- Roll cookie dough into balls and then roll in sugar mixture.
- Place on lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake approx 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Do not over-bake.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool.